After announcing that Be The Match will be at the 6th Annual Brendan Tevlin Lacrosse Festival, we’ve received many questions about joining the registry. Below is some basic information about the process.
- You can join the registry using this link: join.bethematch.org/BTevlin or you can text to join: Text cure94 To 61474
- Create an account by filling out your contact information and medical history. This should only take about 5 minutes.
- A swab kit can be sent to your home or you can register and swab at the festival at the Be The Match table! The cheek swab gathers your tissue cells and will be used to match your HLA type to searching patients.
- You will only be called upon if you are a match. This could take weeks, months, or years.
- You will receive free blood tests and physicals and Be The Match will work around your schedule, if you are a possible match.
- If you are a match, you will be asked to donate blood stem cells or bone marrow cells to one specific patient. 80% of donors are requested to donate blood stem cells. Only 20% of donors are requested to donate marrow cells.